Monday, September 26, 2005

Jetton makes no mention of Alzheimer's vote

Add Missouri House of Representatives Speaker Rod Jetton, R-Marble Hill, to the list of those who are not publicizing their vote not to override Governor Matt Blunt's veto of $227,000 that had been earmarked for Alzheimer's research.
Sunday's Turner Report commented on a column written by Rep. Kevin Wilson, R-Neosho, and printed in The Newton County News and Neosho Daily News, in which Wilson skirted the issue of his decision to stick with the governor and not attempt to override the veto. In this area, Wilson was joined by representatives Ed Emery, R-Lamar; Steve Hunter, R-Joplin; Ron Richard, R-Joplin; and Marilyn Ruestman, R-Joplin. Only Bryan Stevenson, R-Webb City, broke from the governor to cast a vote for restoring the funds for the Alzheimer's research.
As I mentioned earlier, Emery did not try to dodge his vote when asked about it by Seth Jackson. He appears to be the only one taking that approach.
Jetton's column made no mention whatsoever of either that specific vote or any attempts to override the governor's veto.
If these public officials are so proud of their governor and their votes, they need to be telling their constituents about it. I am not anticipating that happening any time soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The obsequious bunch of elected Republican State legislators who follow every move of "our" self-serving Governor Matt Blunt, who is unequalled even by his father U.S. Congressman Roy Blunt in duplicity or expediency, and the one who promoted the elimination of benefits to over 90,000 worthy recipients of Medicaid and now Alzheimer's research in the State of Missouri. "Our" rightwing Missouri government scaled back benevolent entitlement services such as these NOT to reduce State expenses; but to merely 'reallocate' the funds to 'their' favorite "charities". Thomas Jefferson wrote, "Friendship is but another name for an alliance with the follies and the misfortunes of others. Our own share of miseries is sufficient: why enter then as volunteers into those of another?" George Bernard Shaw might have summed it up best when he said, "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." Guess that describes current Missouri politics about as well as it can be explained.

Seth said...

“Then the King will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' Matthew 25:34-40